Monday, March 10, 2014

Cut Cpvc With A Regular Tubing Cutter



Is it ok to cut cpvc or other plastic pipe with a traditional tubing cutter, the C-shaped type with a cutter wheel that you spin around the pipe?
I've seen references to special plastic cutting wheels for these, but haven't found any in actual stores.
I just want to make sure I'm not going to have any headaches down the road (for instance, cracked cpvc from using a ratcheting cutter in cold temperatures).
If I shouldn't use my old tubing cutter, what's the best option for a straight cut (rather not freehand with a saw) for somebody who is only going to do this a couple of times (don't want to buy an expensive tool if I don't have to)?

I know I have tried cutting PVC with my cutter, but the cutting wheel is not big enough to go through. Cpvc is thinner walled so it may work. I usually just use a good hacksaw with a new blade.
They also sell hand held ratcheting cpvc cutters/ I think they are under $20.00

I usually just use a wood saw or power miter saw to cut PVC and CPVC. With the miter saw, usually no deburring is necessary.
For a square cut, most people would recommend a back saw (the wide square blade helps you keep the cut straight). A miter box ensures the cut is square.
I will say, that as long as the cut is reasonably square and deburred, you won't have any problems. It doesn't have to be perfect to create a good seal.






Tags: cpvc, tubing, cutter, tubing cutter, usually just, with cutter