Wednesday, March 12, 2014

brands-of-venetian-plaster



Hello,
I want to apply Venetian Plaster to the walls of my kitchen. Can anyone suggest a brand that is good? I want to achieve the best results I can and from what I have read starting with a good brand is important. I found Valspar Venetian Plaster in my area and would love to hear from anyone that has used it. I want to thank anyone who replies for your time and have a nice day.

I just finished my master bedroom using Valspar Signature Venetian Plaster from Lowes. The results were great. I can't say how it compares to other products, as this is the only brand I have used.
The job was a lot more work than painting, so be prepared. Your walls need to be very smooth, as any bumps will show through. It took me four coats to cover all the bumps, as I didn't know this. However the additional coats added more texture and made for a great appearance. I recommend putting down a coat of primer in the same color as the plaster for extra insurance against bleeding through. Also, it is easier to cut-in along ceilings and trim with primer then it is with the plaster and a trowel.
Make sure to read the fine print on the can. There are a lot of instructions that aren't in the brochure. I would recommend putting down the clear coat sealer for a kitchen to prevent stains. Make sure to dab any thick spots of sealer off with a brush, or they will dry cloudy. The clear coat will make it darker and change the appearance. Practice first on a piece of drywall to get the look you want.
If you have any difficult spots to reach with a trowel, you can thin the plaster to a paint like consistency and paint it on with a brush. I had a section of door trim that was one inch from the wall. It was too narrow to trowel. Brushing on the plaster doesn't give the same texture, but such a small area doesn't show. This also works for inside corners, which can be difficult to cover. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the information. I will do just as you said. I too have a very thin area between the door frame and side wall. I am painting the pantry now and then will plaster the kitchen. I hope to have as good results as you did, your help is invaluable. When I have completed this task, I will let you know how it turned out. Have a nice day and a better tomorrow.

That idea of painting the wall the color of the plaster is a good idea. I found that little bumps on the wall would show through with the original color since the plaster is put on so thin. I used the Behr brand and liked it.

The Valspar brand is slightly thinner than the HD's Behr's brand

I being a traditionalist, have a difficult time when I hear people call products that are purchased from Lowes or Home Depot Venetian Plaster. Those are synthetic products made for people who want the look, but not the value of the “real stuff”. Those are FAUX finishes, and do not react the same as authentic Venetian plasters. You will notice an immediate difference in color, shades and durability. Also it will last much longer than any product made by Behr or any of the other synthetic products sold. I’ve used these products on interiors and exteriors and the beauty is as it ages, it actually starts to look better.
Also, you defeat the purpose of sealing REAL Venetian Plaster. It’s meant to breathe and absorb moisture that prevents Bacteria, Mold and Mildew from growing. Depending on the kind of VP product you use, you can have a smooth glossy effect or a dull matt finish.
Real Italian plaster is made from slacked hydrated lime and marble along with other minerals, and is a “Green Building Product”. There are many companies that sell the real thing, and some are better than others. If anyone wants to know where or what’s out there, let me know and I’ll be glad to help.

Ive used master of plaster brand many times with excellent results.It has a base coat and a finish coat is lime based and qualifies for leed certification.You can go to there website www.masterofplaster.com the manufacturer has been in the business for over 50 years and will answer any question you have.The scagliola work and marrezzo work they have done is spectacular and nothing like asking some one who has really done this work for advice.Also the price is about half of what you pay for imported material for the same quality.Its made in the USA and saves you time and money on prep costs.good luck brian






Tags: venetian, plaster, Venetian Plaster, Behr brand, clear coat, color plaster, from Lowes, have difficult, Make sure, putting down